Most people have tons of cleaners and household items that are toxic or poisonous. You may not think it matters because you’re not planning on breathing it in or drinking it. However, for seniors aging in place on their own, accidents do happen, and they need to be as safe as possible. They may have used these household items their entire lives without realizing the dangers of having them. One of the best things you can do is hire in-home care to help a senior manage the house and household items. In-home care can help you go through your loved one’s home to get rid of anything toxic, dangerous, and unnecessary. In-home care can help ease your stress by ensuring your loved one is safe while aging in place.
Here is a list of common household items you may want to consider removing to keep your loved one safe:
Having Too Many Medications
Many seniors have been taking medications for a while, or they add in new medications. Unfortunately, not all seniors throw away the old medicine, which can make it confusing when looking for the right prescription. When your senior takes the wrong medication, it could be deadly. It is so important for your loved one to go through their prescription list and have everything organized. Help them throw away the old medications or correctly dispose of them. In-home care cannot handle medications, but they can help create a list of times that medications are taken and help remind a senior what they are and are not taking. Medications are not poisonous, but they can be dangerous if they are not managed correctly.
Bleach and Other Household Cleaners
Bleach is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of germs, and it is great for cleaning the bathroom and other areas of the house. However, it is poisonous if accidentally ingested. Of course, your mom or dad would never drink bleach, but accidents do happen as a senior becomes older. It may be time to start looking into organic and non-toxic options that will help prevent the spread of germs and keep your senior loved one safe while cleaning. If they refuse to give up these products, ask in-home care to watch how they use them and keep them out of reach if anything happens.
Gas Stoves and Gas Fireplaces
When used properly, these things are not dangerous. On the other hand, your seniors may forget to turn off their stoves after using it, which can lead to carbon monoxide in the house, which can be dangerous and deadly. Luckily, if you find the right in-home care, they can help monitor the use of these items to ensure your loved one remains safe during cooking and even when they get cold and need the fireplace on.
Pests Can Lead to Problems
Not only are pests annoying, but depending on where you live, they can be deadly. Spiders can have poisonous bites, scorpions sting and bite, and bees can also be deadly. Even a tiny tick can lead to other medical issues for your senior. It is crucial to maintain the house and ensure there are no pests that can be poisonous. This is something your loved one may have a hard time doing on their own, but it is important to call a professional pest company and maintain a clean home.